Monday, November 16, 2009

The Two-Year Quilt

And two years later I finish the quilt from my bridal shower! Hallelujah! I really wanted to finish this in time for the holidays so all my family can sleep under it! I didn't have enough fabric to make the back one solid panel so I decided to take inspiration from filminthefridge.com and patch a back together...



For a little trip down memory lane, while I was in Africa my mom had pre-cut and sent out squares of this quilt called Mandarin Maze(unknown to me). During my bridal shower, I received all of them as a gift...which led to many tears...









So I would not forget who all had contributed to this quilt, I took a picture with the name of the quilter with the block...








That's not all of them, but just a sample...so those were the building blocks for this...









Which then after adding a border, a back and...a dog?






Well, I'm sure there are a few Roy Boy hairs in there even though it's been washed....anyway this is now what it looks like...








sorry it's blurry....had trouble with the flash being overpowering....








and the back...







and there you have it! Only took me two years to complete! Thanks again to all the lovely ladies who lent a hand!!!

In other news, a few weeks ago I received a letter from my best friend Charissa. Well, maybe not a letter in the way you'd expect. See, all she had was post-its, and as I read through the stack I lined them up on my mirror...





Such a thrifty gal...she's in Peru and loving it, by the way.

On to other things...what other things? Oh last weekend it was storming, I took Roy out to do his business around midnight (Matt was sick, he usually takes him out at night for all those dads who worry about me), and as we stood there everything went WHITE. I froze, not knowing what happened but a second later a thunder CRACKED and shook the ground so hard car alarms went off! Somewhere VERY close lighting had struck near Roy and I! I felt--pardon the pun--electrified...all the hair on my body felt on in and everything felt charged. I just froze there, Roy and I staring at each other with BIG eyes until at the same moment...we RAN towards the garage! Not a second after we took cover it began to pour! The lights in the garage flickered and my heart was pounding wildly. Then was a difficult choice. I had gotten overly ambitious the previous week running with Roy and had hurt my knee...should I climb 6 flights of stairs in case of a blackout or should I risk the elevator? The lights flickered and I could hear the wind howling in the elevator shaft...my cell didn't even work in there. Oh well, what's life without a little adventure, right? I held my breath the entire way up and though the lights kept flickering, the power stayed on. When I got in the apartment it was louder than I'd ever heard it and then I realized why...it was hailing!





Pea-sized hail covered my patio! It was crazy! Anyways, now we've got another storm upon us and tonight we're supposed to see gusts 60-65 mph! Wowzers!

Roy's found it a bit chilly at nights, now, too...





he likes to use the curtain as a blanket...

If you're wanting to try a quilt but are a little sheepish to start, read my article on Easy Quilts to Make for a few good starter ideas!
That's all my exciting news for now! This weekend Matt and I are headed off to Bainbridge Island for our anniversary weekend!








No comments:

Post a Comment