Thursday, May 12, 2022

A Fresh Cup

 Time to pour yourself a fresh cup--it's a blog reboot! 

If you're new here--Hi! I'm Kait Palmer, and I started this blog back in 2008 when my husband and I moved from San Diego to Seattle 11 months into our marriage. We adopted our dog--Roy--shortly after and I started blogging as a way to keep in touch with friends and family after we moved. You can read the start of the blog here: The Move

Since then we had a baby, moved to Oklahoma, had two more babies, changed careers, and moved to Southern Oregon. 


Last month our Roy Boy--who was over 16 years old by that time--crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I'm still heartbroken--he was my soulmate dog. I think I'll always feel like he's just around the corner in the house, following me everywhere.

Celebrating Roy's 16th Birthday


Soon after Roy passed, we found Hawk the border collie and have added him to the craziness of our lives. He fits in great so far, and it has been fun having a dog who has the energy for fetch, hikes, and bounding up the stairs and onto the top bunk bed. 


But you didn't come here just for the recap. If you're a long time reader you know the gist of this blog was to share the funny, daily moments. 

So how about I tell you about my new running partner? I started running again in January to train for a half marathon in support of my cousin. I highly encourage you to read the story of her and her daughter Willow on Instagram @runningforwillow 

Every time I would pull on leggings and lace up my shoes, Roy thought he was going. I would usually take him for a very slow walk around the block, but I did miss having a running partner. Hopefully a well trained one who didn't pull my arm off. 

Enter Hawk. 



As a border collie he would be able to keep up with training for a half marathon with me! Awesome! The first few days I took him on a walk after about a mile he actually did pretty well heeling at my side! I was feeling pretty good about this! Possibly a little smug...

However, as the days have progressed his running speed and power seems to have increased. I feel like a cartoon being pulled out of my shoes! I literally need to go to a chiropractor because my entire body feels torqued to one side after running him! 

It's not even healthy running...it's slapping down hard on my feet in an effort not to fall! 

Not falling...that's my new running.

Ironically, he is amazing when I tell him to "stop" and "sit." He looks like the best trained dog ever doing those things! But once we get going again, he runs so hard...his back feet coming forward at the same time like a sled dog gaining traction...he's actually filing down his nails for me!

We'll be scheduling a training session soon, but until then say a prayer for me and my feet as I get drug along by this new boy.

At least my average mile times have increased! 



Look for more Morning Cups in the future--it's time the writer is unleashed again ;-) 

3 comments:

  1. I love this! And look at that tongue in your last photo! 🤣🙌 I'd say you wore him out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.... I'm not anonymous... it's Ashley from welcome teams! 🙏

      Delete
    2. Hah Hi Ashley! And I think we're wearing each other out!

      Delete