Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wardrobe Challenge Day 6

Quick pic of clouds clearing over Rainier on my way to work this morning...


Before I plunge into where I got my $1 earrings or how Roy's incessant itching is driving me up the wall, let me pause a moment and relay a few thing I heard last night on the situation in Haiti.
First, a miracle story I heard on NPR radio. A woman was visiting Haiti from Florida and was in a grocery store when the earthquake. Amazingly, most of the people in the store survived because they could eat the food off the shelves. When rescuers finally reached them and began to dig them out, you can imagine the woman's surprise when the firefighter who pulled her out was her neighbor from Florida.

Amazingly, people are still being pulled from the rubble alive. A two-month old baby was pulled from the rubble in the hillside after surviving 4 days buried. A two-month old.

Most of you have heard about the texting $10 donations to the Red Cross or other organizations. As of last night (before the Larry King show) over 13 million dollars had been raised via texting alone. That's a crazy amount of $10 texts! So for those of you who think you can't afford much, even a $10 donation is helping make a huge difference.

Here's a good article from the New York Times on Tips for Safe and Efficient Haiti Donations.

So here's today's outcome of the Wardrobe Challenge:




Yes the earrings were $1 from Fred Meyer (I think Fred Meyer...or Target...), shirt's from Express (love those bin sales), sweater from a H&M trip while I was in DC with my parents and Matt, and pants are from Limited (you should see my butt, it's spectacular).


Haha, ok just kidding about the butt part...I need more coffee...


For today's spotlight I'm highlighting World Vision. Matt and I both sponsor a family (you can do that now, how cool is that?) with them. I actually sponsor a family in Romania, which is really awesome cause their handwriting is better than the translator's and I can still semi-read Romanian (dictionary in hand)!


You can support World Vision in two ways. One, by donating to the general cause. Their staff is already established in Haiti and has begun handing out bottled water, food, blankets and health kits. Two, sponsor a child in Haiti. When the dust settles and the world has moved on to newer headlines, the country will still be in shambles with most likely more orphans than there were before. Sponsoring a child will help ensure their continued care, health and education.


Click HERE to donate to World Vision.


Clidk HERE to sponsor a child in Haiti.


The sermon on Sunday night was on James 1:19-27. The verses that stuck out to me were the two at the end:


26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


And I know the banner below is for Singapore but its the only one I could find that I could make work...



Life Changing Gift

1 comment:

  1. love you and am so proud of you! people like you make a difference!!

    ReplyDelete